i have wanted to make italian sausage with peppers and onions for some time. while i was at the store, i saw some sweet italian sausages on sale, so i thought, this is the time! i had a extremely busy day the next day, so i knew it would be a slow cooker meal. the bonus to this meal, is it is 2 fold. we could have it over buttered pasta or throw it in a fresh sub roll. we did both. after it is all said and done, i would say that this meal will stay in our meal rotation. the italian sausage was so tender from being slow cooked, it almost broke into pieces when i cut it. it just melted in your mouth! and the broth? it was drinkable. :) the juices from the sausage and peppers flavored the sauce wonderfully. please do me a favor and try this one!
- 1 package italian sweet or spicy sausage - my package had 5 links
- 2 bell peppers (green, red or assorted) - seeded, sliced
- 1 onion - sliced
- 5 cloves garlic - minced
- 1 (14 ounce) can chopped tomatoes -
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste -
- 1 cup beef broth -
- 1 teaspoon italian seasoning -
- 1 bay leaf -
- preheat a skillet over medium high heat. once hot, add the italian sausage. sear on all sides. by doing this, it should reduce the amount of grease in your sauce. set aside.
- add some of the peppers, onion and garlic to the bottom of a slow cooker.
- place the reserved seared sausages over top. sprinkle the remaining peppers, onion and garlic over top.
- combine the chopped tomatoes, tomato paste, beef broth, italian seasoning and bay leaf in a bowl.
- pour over top of the sausage mixture.
- cook on low for 4 - 6 hours or until sausage is cooked through.
- serve over pasta...
- or on a sub roll with melted mozzarella cheese.