valentines day is usually the day most restaurants make most of their money! high priced cuisine is not an issue because it's valentines day, right? not in my house. lol! don't get me wrong. my hubby and i do enjoy dining out on occasion. but as a stay at home mom of 4, we have to watch our budget carefully. steak and shrimp dinners can easily run the average person at least $25 a plate! sometimes, i challenge myself to come up with ways to stretch the cost of everything! buying smaller amounts of steak and shrimp to use in a stir-fry really works when you are trying to cut costs. the hubby loves a little sweet in his food. so when i thought about this honey garlic recipe, i thought it would be perfect for my surf and turf stir-fry. words can not describe how delicious this recipe is. the sweet and savory glaze you will pour all over these caramelized steak, shrimp and veggies will have you glad that you stayed in. no reservations necessary, folks. we are eating in tonight.
- 3/4 cup honey -
- 1/3 cup soy sauce -
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch -
- 1 tablespoon water -
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil - divided
- 1 lb frozen jumbo shrimp - defrosted
- 3/4 lb beef bottom stir-fry steak - thinly sliced
- 1 zucchini - sliced into thick strips
- 1/4 lb mushrooms - (half a pack) - quartered
- 1/2 onion - sliced
- 4 cloves garlic - minced
- 1/2 lemon -
- pour the honey and soy sauce into a small saucepan. heat the sauce over medium heat, keeping a carefully eye that it does not boil over.
- meanwhile, combine the cornstarch and water in a small bowl. once the sauce starts to simmer, pour the cornstarch mixture into the sauce. bring the sauce to a boil (to allow to thicken) and immediately turn the sauce off. set aside.
- preheat a large wok or skillet over high heat. once the pan is hot and smoking, add a tablespoon of the vegetable oil and the shrimp. season with salt/pepper.
- allow to sear by not tossing for a few minutes as well. toss and cook until browned. remove the shrimp from the pan to a plate.
- add the remaining vegetable oil and the steak to the hot pan and season with salt/pepper. allow to sear by not tossing for a few minutes, as well.
- toss and cook to your desired doneness. remove from the pan to the plate with the shrimp.
- add the vegetables to the hot pan.
- season with salt/pepper and toss for a few minutes until slightly tender.
- add the steak and shrimp back to the pan and pour the reserved sauce over the top. toss to coat. remove from the heat. squeeze the lemon juice over top. toss to combine and serve with rice, veggie or noodles.
- at walmart, i found this beef bottom round steak stir-fry meat. it was only $4.66 for 0.78 pounds. it was sliced thin and ready to go. what a find! i considered using one new york strip steak for this stir-fry, but now i'm glad i didn't. since the steak was sliced so thin, it was tender and delicious.
- as for the shrimp - while shopping at walmart, i was looking for frozen shrimp. for some reason, all the shrimp was the SAME price. so the smaller shrimp, all the way up to the jumbo shrimp was $5.00 for a pound. another great find! make sure to check the prices of all the sizes to get more for your money.
- save even more money and clean out the fridge with this stir-fry!