the love for broccoli in my house is...divided. me and my girls will steam some broccoli, throw a little butter/salt on it them and eat a big o' HUGE bowl of it, content as can be. my boys? not so much. when the broccoli comes out of the fridge, they take off running in the other direction. at best, i can cut it up into little itsy bitsy pieces and stir it into some rice and my eldest son with eat it. but i had a plan. you can't mess with momma. i made these delicious patties with cheese and panko breadcrumbs for some crunch. then i roasted the mess out of them until they were browned and crunchy, yet cheesy in the middle. roasting the broccoli made it taste nutty and extra good. the result? no division now exists in the smith household! united we stand! :)
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil -
- 2 cloves garlic - minced
- 1/2 onion - chopped
- 1 (12 ounce) bag frozen broccoli - defrosted
- 3/4 cup panko breadcumbs -
- 1/2 cup sharp cheddar cheese -
- 1/3 cup parmesan cheese -
- 2 eggs - beaten
- salt/pepper -
- preheat the oven to 400 degrees. lightly grease a baking sheet lined with aluminum foil.
- heat the oil in a small pan over medium heat. add in the garlic and onions. season with salt/pepper to taste. saute until onions are garlic are tender. set aside to cool.
- add the broccoli to a kitchen towel. wrap the towel around the broccoli and squeeze out the extra moisture. pour the drained broccoli into a large bowl.
- to the same bowl, add the panko, the cooled onion/garlic mixture, the cheeses, eggs, and salt/pepper to taste (i used 1/2 teaspoon of salt).
- mix together and form into patties. place on the prepared baking sheet.
- bake in the preheated oven for 15 minutes. flip and bake for another 15 minutes or until browned and crispy.