french toast is a staple at our house. we are breakfast lovers and will make breakfast at any point during the day! i made some banana bread one evening and the next day, my son asked for... you guessed it - french toast. i kinda glanced over at the banana bread on the counter and paused. i thought to myself, whoa... you bad girl! lol. i dipped that banana bread in the french toast batter and it was some kinda good. drizzled over my homemade vanilla syrup and we were in a good place. :)
- 1 banana bread loaf - recipe link below
- 3 eggs - lightly beaten
- 1 cup milk -
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon -
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg -
- 1 teaspoon vanilla -
- 1/2 stick of butter - for griddle
- make my banana bread recipe the night before. cut the loaf into 12 slices and let them dry out overnight. if you want to make the french toast the same day you made it, you can place the slices of banana bread in the oven on 200 degrees for about 10 - 15 minutes.
- preheat a griddle or large skillet over medium high heat.
- in a flat dish, beat the eggs. add the remaining ingredients (except the butter) and mix well.
- once hot, add some butter to the griddle. add a slice of the banana bread to the egg mixture turning a few times until well moistened and add to the griddle. cook until brown on both sides. repeat with remaining slices of banana bread. drizzle with homemade vanilla syrup or dust with powdered sugar, if desired. we loved ours with fresh banana slices.