okay, for all of you who know me, i have just started branching out with the sweet and savory recipes. it use to not be my cup of tea. at all. *sigh* but you have to try some thing new sometimes in life, right? so i have been doing just that. my tastebuds have woken up and become all new taste buds! they are wondering if they have some how been transferred to a new individual or something! i already have a sweet rub roasted chicken breast recipe, so i decided to try a similar rub on some chicken wings, crank up the oven and brown them all golden brown, crispy and yummy. these wings are so good, they landed themselves on my new year's eve menu. sweet brown sugar, smoky cumin and paprika , spicy cayenne... them dip them in a dill ranch sauce? taste bud overload, jump out of my mouth, slap your momma good. :)
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar -
- 2 teaspoons onion powder -
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder -
- 2 teaspoons paprika -
- 2 teaspoons salt - pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon cumin -
- 1 teaspoon cayenne -
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme -
- 2 lbs chicken wings - seperated
- 1 tablespoon canola oil -
- - dill ranch sauce
- 1/4 cup sour cream -
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika -
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder -
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder -
- 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar -
- 1/4 teaspoon dried dill weed -
- salt/pepper - (i used 1/2 tsp)
- preheat the oven to 425 degrees. line the inside of a broiler pan with aluminum foil (to catch the drippings). i used a pan like this one here. set aside.
- combine all the seasonings in a small bowl. mix together and set aside. place all of chicken wings in a large ziploc bag. sprinkle the rub over the chicken wings and drizzle the canola oil over top. seal the bag and toss to coat. allow to marinate for about 30 minutes to overnight.
- place the chicken wings on the prepared broiler pan.
- bake in the oven for about 35 - 40 minutes (depending on desired browning). turn the chicken wings about half way through for even browning.
- for dill ranch sauce - combine all the ingredients in a small bowl. refrigerate until ready to serve.
i have never been to a restaurant and ordered a appetizer that gave me '2 pounds' of chicken wings for $5.99. gotta love cooking at home. sometimes. :)