i had the bright idea to make some bacon fried rice one day. we are bacon lovers and i thought it would be delicious. while i was brainstorming the recipe, my hubby said, oh, add pineapple! now.. ya'll that know me, know that i don't like fruit in my savory food! but for my hubby's sake, i thought, i'll step out of my comfort zone and try it. i no longer have a comfort zone. as a matter of fact, my comfort zone is banned! as long as it makes me miss out on food like this, it is dismissed. forever. this rice has it all. the smoky bacon, sweet pineapple and kick from the sriracha. we will be making this rice often. as a matter of fact, i am craving some now. excuse me for a minute... :)
- 6 slices of bacon - chopped
- 2 eggs - lightly beaten
- 2 cloves garlic - minced
- 1/2 onion - chopped
- 2 teaspoons ginger - grated
- 4 cups day old rice -
- 1 1/2 tablespoon soy sauce -
- 1 tablespoon sriracha -
- 1 (8 ounce) can of pineapple - drained, chopped fine
- 4 scallions - chopped
- preheat a large pot, skillet or wok over medium high heat. once hot, add the bacon.
- saute until the bacon is crispy. remove the bacon with a slotted spoon. pour all but a tablespoon of the bacon grease into a container.
- add the eggs into the hot pan.
- scramble the eggs in the bacon grease. remove the eggs, and set aside.
- add some more of the bacon grease to the pan. add the onion, garlic and ginger to the pan.
- saute until the onions are slightly tender.
- add in the rice, breaking up the chunks with a spoon.
- season the rice with salt/pepper to taste. toss until the rice is toasty, separated and coated with all the goodness.
- add in the sriracha and soy sauce. stir the sauces in well.
- add in the pineapple, reserved bacon, reserved eggs and scallions.
- stir until all ingredients are combined. serve hot or cold!
smoky, salty, sweet...all at once.